Today I have for you new traditional recipe of Egypt. The name of this food is Koshari !
If you have ever been in Egypt, so you definitely have to know this food. I have to say that Egypt is full of Koshari, sometimes it seems the Egyptian people does not eat anything else, just this food 😀
Well actually its easy food and in Egypt you will find a lot of kinds of Koshari, specially in Cairo.Its also very cheap it cost since 5 egyptian pound ! (1 dollar is 12 Egyptian pound ) and it absolutely will make your stomach full.
I just want to show you the basic recipe for Koshari. The recipe I copied from one professional Egyptian cook. Anyway at the start I did not like this food so much but by the time I fell in love to it also as every Egyptian person.
Ingredients for Koshari Recipe
(2 servings of food)
• 1 x large onion
• 3 x table spoons of olive oil
• 1 x lemon
• 2 x tins of chopped tomatoes in tomato sauce
• 1 x cup of rice
• 2 x cups of macaroni
• 1 x cup of brown lentils
First get the rice, lentils and macaroni bubbling away on the stove.
1. Rinse the rice several times then place in a pot with two cups of cold water. Add a pinch of salt and then cook on a low heat for 25 minutes.
2. Rinse the lentils and remove and stones. Cook in pot of water for 25 minutes until the lentils become soft, but not mushy.
3. Cook the macaroni in a pot of boiling water for 20 minutes
4. Meanwhile chop up the onion (not to finely) and put to one side. Five minutes before the pasta is due to finish, add the onion to a pan of olive oil and fry until crispy. (But You do not have to, if you do not like onion).
5. When the rice, lentils and macaroni are ready, mix together in a bowl, cover and put to one side. Put the tomatoes in pot and cook on a high heat for five minutes until hot.
6. When the onions are looking crispy drain into a sieve, allowing the oil to poor through on to the pasta, lentil and rice mix. Give it a stir and serve. Add the tomato sauce and garnish with the fried onions.
Most Egyptian Kosheri restaurants will serve the dish with spicy tomato sauce. If you like a little fire in your meal, I definitely recommend adding a chilli to the tomato sauce. A pinch of cumin or a little garlic can also add to the flavour.
Thank you for reading, Check my New E-book and Subscribe to my Youtube channel for more content from Egypt!
Books I wrote, you can read here: